Breaking News

Don't think the score should have been 9-1: Nikhat Zareen after loss to Mary Kom

Don't think the score should have been 9-1: Nikhat Zareen after loss to Mary Kom

MC Mary Kom refused to shake hands with Nikhat Zareen after defeating her in the women's 51kg final trials. Zareen has now claimed that the 6-time world champion used foul language in the ring during their bout.

HIGHLIGHTS

  • Mary Kom defeated Nikhat Zareen 9-1 in the 51kg final at the ongoing ongoing Boxing Olympic trails
  • Telangana Boxing Association is planning to appeal against the decision
  • Mary Kom refused hand shake with Nikhat Zareen after she was declared victorious in a trial bout
Nikhat Zareen's long-standing wish of going toe-to-toe against the legendary MC Mary Kom ended in a 1-9 split decision defeat on Saturday. As a result of this win, Mary Kom made the Indian squad for the next year's Olympic qualifiers in China.
But controversy erupted after the boxing match as Mary Kom refused to shake hands with Nikhat Zareen with the Hyderabadi boxer even claiming that the six-time world champion used foul language against her in the during their bout.
"I did not like how she behaved with me. When the decision was announced, I tried to hug her but she did not hug me back. Being a junior I expect from seniors that they respect us too. But she did not hug me back, I felt hurt but that's ok. I don't mind.
"In the ring she used some bad words for me. I don't want to react on that right now," Nikhat told reporters at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium complex.
"I didn't lack anywhere. I performed better than I did at the India Open. Today I played all out. I don't agree. It was a close bout and could have gone either way so I don't think the score should have been 9-1," Nikhat added.
Nikhat's father also backed her daughter's claim and revealed that she was in tears due to the language used by Mary Kom during the bout.
"Winning-losing is part of an athlete's life. But Nikhat was in tears because of the language used. The boxers shake hands or hug after the verdict, no matter who wins or loses. But Mary instead said something foul to her. You have served the country for so long. But what message are you sending out when you use such words in the ring?" Nikhat's father Jameel Ahmed said.

No comments